Start a new topic

Motion Detection / Parking Mode

I have asked Viofo direct

"  Why does Motion Detection not turn on automatically when the engine is turned off and turn off auto when the engine is started?  It is tedious to have to navigate the menu for it.

Could a convenience feature be to turn it on/off by simultaneous pressing of two buttons?  "

I will follow up here after receiving their reply and in the meantime I welcome comments.

I realise it is not advisable to have it turned on while driving as the cam may not continuously record.

9 people like this idea

also, there is no sound recording while in parking mode. With my g-sensor set to high sensitivity, it still takes quite a bit to set it off. I slammed the passenger door hard and rocked the car a bit while in parking mode, emergency record did not activate. Sound could be very beneficial in hearing something hit my vehicle.

So now, I have my forward facing camera attached with the suction cup so I can swivel while parked at my house or to aim at specific events. The rear is attached to the regular 'quick release' on the back window. 

The forward cam is set to motion detect while parked (buffered recording with sound), and the rear in actual parking mode (no buffered recording, no sound). 

How does Parking Mode works with the new firmware release V2.1 for the A119S? Viofo, care to enlighten us ?

If you have the camera permanently wired via an OBD2  2amp charge cable (not 1.5amp generally available on ebay) then parking mode works like this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsMtNICalJc 

and note his settings-

Screensaver = Off

Parking Mode = 5FPS

G Sensor + Low Sensitivity

In fact if you have the Parking Mode set to any FPS rate then if you try to set Motion Detection on you'll get a message to turn Parking Mode off first but you can still set the G-Sensor sensitivity. If you turn Parking Mode off then you can select Motion Detection on but if you then go back to Parking Mode and select any FPS rate then when you go back to Motion Detection it will be turned off. However the settings above will see the camera power down after 1.5 mins with no movement or engine vibrations and then it will work as per the video. Try it sitting in the car and when it powers down wave a finger in front of the lens or walk up in front of the car.

Finally found the explanation of how it all functions and why you'll need permanent power for Parking Mode to work (at least 2 amp feed direct to cam and not GPS mount)

The sequence of events/modes is typically this:

Normal recording always at power up (at the Resolution/fps set in the appropriate Settings menu).  Normal recording is kept going by continued camera movement either via (G-sensor) and/or motion in the camera FOV ( i.e.- no quiet periods over 1.5 minutes)

The A119S will not switch modes until there is a quiet period for 1.5 minutes, then it switches to Standby (not recording).

Whenever motion is detected in the camera lens FOV again (but no physical camera movement via the G-sensor),  the A119S will switch to Time-lapse recording at the fps selected in the Parking Mode menu setting. (note that if you select typical 5fps in the Parking Mode then the Motion Detection setting is no longer required/allowed).  Motion in the camera lens FOV (with no physical camera movement) will then keep the A119S recording in Time-lapse mode until either of two things happen: 

1) If a quiet period again occurs for 1.5 minutes, the A119S will stop recording (go into Standby) or: 

2) If camera physical movement is detected by the G-sensor (eg. simply the car engine running/vibration), the A119 will switch back to Normal recording.

G-sensor activity will always switch the A119S back to Normal recording from either Standby or Time-lapse recording.

To go back to Time-lapse recording, the cycle must repeat sequentially, i.e., Normal to Standby to Time lapse.

(Acknowledgment: edited version of explanation by 5Cowbells at dashcamtalk)

I can never get my cam on stand by mode. It seems parking mode is too sensitive for my parking lot as it's a lighted area and shadow movement seems to trigger it to continuously record. Now i just manually power off my cam, once i parked.

Yes if you park with tree, pedestrian or traffic movement in the camera FOV then you don't have 1.5mins of quiet time. Now selecting Parking Mode in the settings automatically means the Motion Detection setting is not available to you but perhaps if that was already set to Low then when Parking Mode is turned on it remembers the Low sensitivity setting and the cam won't jump at shadows quite so much. Worth a try.

I will have a play with the low sensitivity and see what happen. but definitely in medium, it was recording all night for me haha. I am trying to figure out what triggers it.

Parking Mode automatically enables Motion Detection and G-Sensor. Timelapse recording begins when G-Sensor data is low and visual Motion Detection is high. If a G-Sensor event is detected DVR will switch to normal video recording.
// Parking Mode Video Timeline //
0:10 hardwire kit commentary
0:53 using portable 5 volt power bank
1:45 parking mode menu options
3:16 video clip file size details
4:27 parking mode footage 1 fps
5:27 parking mode footage 5 fps
6:58 parking mode footage 15 fps
8:23 portable power bank suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9vRHZ3cAjc

Login or Signup to post a comment