Start a new topic

Last file of each drive corrupted

Hello,

I received yesterday my Viofo A119 (my first dashboard camera). I installed it today and tested it. It works, but I have a problem: the last file of each drive is corrupted. On the camera itself, it isn't shown at all; on the PC, I can see the file but every player I have say it's corrupted.

The camera is set to GPS on, 1080P/30, LDWS on, 5 minute loop.

The firmware is 1.1, and the SD card is a genuine Sandisk 32GB class 10.

Is this a known issue? I would expect the last file to be saved, especially since any accident would be at the very end of a drive...

Thank you,

Cristian

2 people have this problem

I also just tried it for the 1st time today and had the same problem. It appears you have to wait until the unit is powered off before removing it, otherwise the file is likely corrupted.

Well, I didn't remove the camera at all, so that can't be the problem... :) anyway, I upgraded the firmware to version 2, and tried with 60hz and it appears to work. I don't know if it's been the firmware or the frequency though...

1 person likes this
Never remove the memory card when the camera is in recording mode.  Whatever file it is currently recording will become corrupt.

I know this may sound dumb... but I think it may work in a pinch (especially if you MUST have that last video file on your camera.  When you park your car (at home / at work) leave your key on..stay in your vehicle...and you will, in essence...keep recording for the length of time that your loop is...  So when it finishes the loop...  You will have then "Saved" that last file as the "next to the last file"..... you will have another last file.,,,,

I hope I am making sense... feel free to jump in on this conversation.  My loop is 3 minutes, so I would wait 4 minutes,,,,  and the file I really need would be safe.

I have the same problem "last file is corrupted". 

Following test I've done. 

Dash + GPS module: -

1. Setting to 3 mins - not working

2. Res to 1080p 30f and 60f - not working

3. 50hz and 60hz - not working

Only Dash (No GPS Module)

1. setting to 3 mins - working

2. res to 1080p - working

3. 50hz and 60 hz - working.

What i found out if use the GPS module when I turn off the car engine the camera recording stopped straight away. If i not using the GPS module (Only Dash) it has 3-5 sec lights on after the engine is off. 

My question, why with the GPS module doesn't work and does GPS module also has capacitor as well.  I am thinking my GPS might be faulty.

thanks again and any suggestion are much appreciated.  

1 person likes this

I have the same problem "last file is corrupted". 

Following test I've done. 

Dash + GPS module: -

1. Setting to 3 mins - not working

2. Res to 1080p 30f and 60f - not working

3. 50hz and 60hz - not working

Only Dash (No GPS Module)

1. setting to 3 mins - working

2. res to 1080p - working

3. 50hz and 60 hz - working.

What i found out if use the GPS module when I turn off the car engine the camera recording stopped straight away. If i not using the GPS module (Only Dash) it has 3-5 sec lights on after the engine is off. 

My question, why with the GPS module doesn't work and does GPS module also has capacitor as well.  I am thinking my GPS might be faulty.

thanks again and any suggestion are much appreciated.  

Could be a faulty GPS drawing too much power, or the capacitor holding too little, or a dirty/marginal connection between the two. Did you try with the gps attached, but the power cable attached to the camera instead of the gps unit?

Hi Cristian Arezzini, 

does it still charge the GPS module even if i plug in from the side? If it does i will test it through this method can see. Thanks for your input.

While powering the camera via the side miniUSB port on the camera, GPS functions will still work.

I purchased an A119 and installed it on Tuesday (4/18/2017).  I tested it out several times and am finding the same thing happening to me with the last file being corrupted, but I am not using the GPS module mount.  Mine firmware is on V2.2, setting of 2560x1440p/30, 60Hz (US).  My files are saved off in 3 minutes increments.  Mostly everything is turned off, such as WDR, Motion Detection, GPS, LDWS, and FCWS,

Every file created from the beginning of the drive to the second to last file are okay and can be viewed, but the last one is corrupt and I can not get any player to use it.  

Even when looking at the details in Windows 10 File Explorer it will not show the number of minutes for this (video) file, but the others do reflect the time of 3:00 minutes each. That is another indication to me that the file is not being safely saved as a video file.

I did notice as others mentioned that the REC light is still lite for a little time after the car is turned off.  I do not remove the SD card right away, as it is usually later in the evening when I have been removing them and checking the video out.

Hope someone may be able to help shed some light on what may be happening.

FYI... I noticed later after a couple of days when I actually had my microphone turned on while driving that there was a vibration sound appearing at times.  I thought the camera may be hitting the windshield so I tilted it downwards a little more to make more room, being sure I had a good 3/16" gap and I was still hearing the vibration on and off.  I read how some others had problems too, but it seemed to be more with the GPS mount type usage.  I am using the middle mount version... that is mine came with 3 versions... GPS, an extremely slim mount and just a slightly larger mount from the slim mount.  I noticed when I was pressing the buttons on the cam that the unit would move slightly forwards-upwards to the windshield.  I just applied 4 small strips of black electrical tape on each of the pads as you see outlined in the attached picture.  The camera no longer moves after I mounted it again and pressed on the buttons, as well as the front of the dash cam.  I hope this remedies the vibration sounds on the video audio.

I just noticed in my last two drives, 04/20 PM and 04/21 AM, that the REC light no longer stays lit anymore for a second or two when I turn the ignition off.  The REC light goes out right away, so I am guessing this is why my last video is corrupt. I remember at first it was staying on and I was wondering if I did something wrong with the electrical hookup, and then noticed it took a couple of seconds to go off.  Now to try to figure out why the recording stops as soon as the ignition turns off for what appears the capacitors are not being charged.  

Having the same issue with last file being corrupt while powered via gps mount.

What I noticed though, is when trying to play such corrupted file in the internal dashcam player, it first gets stuck with a black frame for a couple of seconds, but then actually plays the video.

If you connect dashcam to pc again (or move the card over), the video turns out to be fixed by the dashcam.

Seems like the internal capacitor does not have enough juice to both power the cam and the gps module while the cam finishes writing.

Yeah, when playing a corrupt file back in the camera itself, the A119/A119S will often "fix" the file.

If plugging power into the camera directly does not fix the corrupt last file, you could have a bad capacitor.

I have been looking at buying this camera as a replacement for my old Mini 0801 but seen so many issues on this "last file corruption" it is now a bit off-putting. Having read so much on capacitor dash cams (and not sure if the facility is available on this model or not) it is stipulated on a few sites I have read that the camera needs to shut down immediately once the power is removed in order for it to write/save the last file. If it does not shut down for even as little as 3 to 4 seconds this can apparently cause the last file to become corrupted and not save correctly.. 

Login or Signup to post a comment