Start a new topic

Format card message at camera / car startup

When I startup the car, very often the dashcam (Viofo A119, firmware v3.1) shows the format card message. I use a Kingston 64GB microSDXC card. The camera is connected to car lighter plug.

If I stop the engine and start it back, the camera works ok. If I stop the camera and restart it, it works ok.

The camera is new (less than a month) and the issue showed after a few weeks of flawless working.

The following issues came to my mind:

1. card issue

2. camera issue

3. car battery / voltage problem

4. heat

Did anyone had an issue like mine ?

Is it a V1 or V2 model?  Does it have a V2 in the serial #?  Also, if it's a V1, are you using a GPS mount?  If so, try plugging directly into the camera, not the GPS mount.  GPS will still function.

Camera is V2 model.
Viofo support suggested the same approach (among others, like using the original charger and trying another card). They made no distinction between v1 and v2.

This morning I pluged directly into camera. I will report back if the issue shows again. I don't like, however, not being able to easily remove the camera.

PS What are the differences between v1 and v2?

A119 Firmware v3.1 is BETA and will gave glitches, report all odd behavior so changes can be made for next update. From MENU settings verify Format Reminder setting is off and retains that settings from day to day. Format your microSD card inside the Dashcam and retest. Never insert or remove card while dashcam is powered on.

Update: I had no incidents for about 2 weeks. I did the following:
1. I applied the foam pad to camera base (I did not know about their purpose and I don't remember reading about them in user manual)
2. I gave up using right angle mini USB adapters (the seller I got the camera recommended them for better cable run)
3. I am more patient when I start up the engine (I don't really know how to say it, but I used to start the engine turning the key right away to ignition; now I move the key to ON, wait for the Check Engine Light to turn off then start ignition)

I'm still using the same card and the power is connected to GPS module; I'm using a third party charger (not the original one).

Another thing: the local temperature went lower (it used to be 40C outside, and a lot more inside a closed car, not it's below 30C)

Login or Signup to post a comment