Start a new topic

Firmware downgrade A119v1

I upgraded my A119v1 (with GPS) from v3.1 to firmware v3.3 when it was released at the start of September 2017. It worked as usual, recording without a hitch. I have the "format reminder" set every 15th, so last Sept 15 (or 16), I got the reminder and chose Yes as I have done so from the past. Then it started to cycle on/off, screen flickering. When I got home, I tried different things:

1. Connected it to a wall charger - didn't work. 

2. Connected to a powerbank - didn't work either. 

3. Tried 1A and 1.5A wall charger, then powerbank - didn't work.

4. Replaced my 64GB Transcend Ultimate 633 with another memory card - didn't work.

5. Downgraded to v3.1 - still didn't work.

The cycling on/off only happens when it is recording. If it is not recording or there is no memory card inserted, it does not cycle.

I don't want to give up on this dashcam because I like the discreetness and the video quality. 

Have you tried plugging the power directly into the camera (not through the GPS)?  GPS will still work.

Yes I have tried plugging it directly to the camera. Still cycles on/off.
Have you tried a different USB cable?
Tried the following (all combinations): 2 different usb cables 2 different transcend memory cards 1A powerbank 1.5A powerank 1A wall charger 1.5A wall charger Plug directly to unit Plug through gps Firmware 3.1 Firmware 3.3 Reset button None of these work. The A119 just keeps recylcing on/off BUT only when it is recording OR a memory card is inserted (recording paused). If the unit is not recording (and without a memory card), it doesnt cycle on/off.

I would test your cards with the h2testw program (it's free) just to be sure there are no issues with them.

I would test the cards with the h2testw program (it's free) just to be sure there are no issues with them.

Testing the Transcend with h2testw v1.4... will post results once done. 

Warning: Only 61815 of 61816 MByte tested.

Test finished without errors.

You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.

Writing speed: 1.71 MByte/s

Reading speed: 1.38 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

I think you need a new card.  Unless I'm not reading the numbers correctly, 1.71 MB/s isn't going to be fast enough.  The average A119 3 minute file is about 500 MB, but the camera has a variable bit rate, so files size can be much bigger as well.  I have seen a few 700+ MB 3 minute files.  Lets use 500 MB for an example though.  500 MB divided by 180 (3 minute file) = 2.77 MB/s write time to the card.  1.71 MB/s isn't going to be fast enough.

Warning: Only 61815 of 61816 MByte tested.

Test finished without errors.

You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.

Writing speed: 16.9 MByte/s

Reading speed: 17.7 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

Was this a different card?

Was this a different card?

It’s the same card transcend 64gb. The first test was interrupted so I retested it. I retested again for 2 more times and the results were consistent around 17MBps read/write. I just bought a new 32gb card, and it still doesnt work. It just got worse even, now the camera doesnt keep turned on for a minute. It restarts after 5sec, with or without a memory card. I cant do a reflash since it wont stay on longer. Hard reset doesnt work either. This is just frustrating. I think i just wasted 120usd for a unit that cannot last for a year. Any other suggestion? How about if I replace the capacitors?
Still something sounds like a power issue somewhere. Looks like you have tried everything I can think of. I would contact your seller for a warranty replacement.
Login or Signup to post a comment